Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Lesson 5 – Proquest



Lesson 5 – Proquest

1. Do a basic search on something of interest to you. Report your findings and observations.

I work as a curator for the Museum of the South Dakota State Historical Society. We are planning our next gallery exhibit on the 1970’s so I thought it might be fun to see what information I could find on 1970’s disco fashion. A variety of articles, from newspapers, scholarly journals, and mainstream magazines came up in my results. I especially like how there are images from the articles included in some of the results. The breadth of articles, from politics to disco parties, was also incredible and very interesting. The ability to narrow my search results by topic (I chose “history”) was helpful in eliminating a lot of the outlier articles.  


2. Click the Publications tab at the top of the page. Do a search for a journal in your profession by typing a title or keyword in the search box. Report your findings and observations.

As I stated earlier, I work in the Museum located at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. When I ran a title search for “museum,” very few titles came up. However, when I searched “museum - In publication summary” a number of results were returned. I was rather excited to discover that I could view the latest issue of Smithsonian Magazine  in its entirety!
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate- make sure you look at the History in American Decades vol. 8 1970s from the next lesson Gale Virtual Reference Library. Look on the left under History, then select the History in American Decades, then there is a bar on the right to choose vol. 8 for the 1970s. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I looked quick today and can also refine the search just to "South Dakota" which will be perfect. Thanks for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the limiters in Proquest--they can really narrow down the search results. And perfect suggestion about the American Decades Jennifer! Thanks for the post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete