Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Lesson 2 -- ChiltonLibrary, Mango Languages and TumblebookLibrary

ChiltonLibrary - Basic Discovery Exercise
1. I used the ChiltonLibrary to search for my 2009 Subaru Outback. At 30,000 miles, the site recommends that I replace Spark plugs, service and Inspect Steering & suspension, and Service and Inspect Transmission and/or differential gear fluid.
2. The most recent bulletin posted was addressed to service personal and was in regard to using the Subaru Select Monitor III (SSMIII) diagnostic tool.
3. I thought that with the recent snow I should look into my Anti-Lock Break system. I didn't really realize how the system works, but now I at least have some clue. "When wheel slip is detected during a brake application, an ABS event occurs. During antilock braking, hydraulic pressure in the individual wheel circuits is controlled to prevent any wheel from slipping. A separate hydraulic line and specific solenoid valves are provided for each wheel. The ABS can decrease, hold, or increase hydraulic pressure to each wheel." Good to know!

Mango Languages - Basic Discovery Exercise
1. I tried French, a language I took back in high school, but obviously do not remember any of:) I like that the lesson took you through a conversation first, so you could hear the language spoken in dialog and not just bits and pieces. I also like how it took you through segment by segment of a sentence and repeated it several times to help it stick. I also like that the lessons include commentary on the culture of the language you are learning.
2. For the Vietnamese student, they could choose to learn English and then select the "English for Vietnamese speakers" option.

TumblebookLibrary - Basic Discovery Exercise
1. The read along option is a great resource for all reading levels. The service as a whole is good for any child with access to an electronic device, but maybe no library.
2. I tried the "word catch" game. I have to be honest it took me a second to figure out the objective, but it's great for all age levels and nice that it uses the vocabulary from the books themselves.
3. This is a great resource for parents, teachers, and library groups.

1 comment:

  1. What a useful explanation of the anti-lock brakes in your vehicle--it is nice to have an understanding of how those brakes work, especially in this winter weather!
    Great observations about Mango and TumblebookLibrary. The games in Tumblebook can be really fun--I've had some training groups get really involved in a group word find!
    Thanks for the post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete